1. Mentally strong people don’t waste time feeling sorry for themselves. Many of life's problems and sorrows are inevitable, but feeling sorry for yourself is a choice. Mentally strong people don't waste their time and energy thinking about the problem, instead they focus on creating a solution.
2. Mentally strong people don’t give away their power. It can be very tempting to blame other people for our problems and circumstances. Empowering yourself is an essential component to building mental strength and creating the kind of life you want to live.
3. Mentally strong people don’t shy away from change. Although we feel safest when we stay within our comfort zones, avoiding new challenges serves as the biggest obstacle to living a full and rich life. The more you practice tolerating the uncomfortable feelings associated with change—whether it involves taking on a new job or leaving an unhealthy relationship—the more confident you'll become in your ability to create your future.
4. Mentally strong people don’t waste energy on things they can't control. Pay attention to the times when you're tempted to worry about something you can't control—like the choices other people make or how your competitor behaves—and devote that energy into something more productive.
5. Mentally strong people don’t worry about pleasing others. A lot of people say, "I don't care what other people think," but often that's a defence mechanism meant to shield them from the hurt and pain associated with rejection. Doing and saying things that may not be met with favour takes courage, but living a truly authentic life requires you to live according to your values, even when your choices aren't popular.
6. Mentally strong people don’t fear taking calculated risks. You don't get to be extraordinary without taking risks, and learning how to accurately calculate risk will ensure you're making the best choices.
7. Mentally strong people don’t dwell on the past. Making peace with the past so you can live for the present and plan for the future can be hard, especially if you've endured a lot of misfortune, but it's a necessary step in becoming your best self.
8. Mentally strong people don’t make the same mistakes over and over. Mentally strong people don't hide their mistakes or make excuses for them, instead they turn their mistakes into opportunities for self-growth.
9. Mentally strong people don’t resent other people's success. When you're secure in our own definition of success, you'll stop envying other people for obtaining their goals and you'll be committed to reaching your dreams.
10. Mentally strong people don’t give up after failure. Mentally strong people view failure as proof that they're pushing themselves to the limits in their efforts to reach their full potential.
11. Mentally strong people don’t fear alone time. Mentally strong people create opportunities to be alone with their thoughts, reflect on their progress, and create goals for the future.
12. Mentally strong people don’t feel the world owes them anything. Everyone has gifts that can be shared, regardless of whether they've gotten a "fair deal" in life.
13. Mentally strong people don’t expect immediate results. Mentally strong people know that true change takes time and they're willing to work hard to see results.